What about The Boys? Paperback / softback
* How can teachers address the challenge of educating boys for life in the 21st century?* What aspects of schooling are particularly problematic for boys?* How do issues of class, race and sexuality impact upon boys educational experiences?This edited collection brings together leading researchers from Australia, United Kingdom and the United States to explore issues of boys, schooling and masculinities within the context of the current concern about the education of boys.
The contributors draw on detailed empirical research to highlight some important issues that are not addressed in public debates about boys in the media.
Chapter topics include international perspectives on debates about boys; teaching boys; programs for boys in schools; boys and risk taking; boys and discipline; boys and sexuality; Afro-American boys; indigenous boys in Australian schools; boys and reading; boys and maths; boys, dance and sport; boys and science; girls' talk about boys.
The book will be important and compelling reading for all teachers concerned with the education of boys.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 257 pages, index
- Publisher: Open University Press
- Publication Date: 01/10/2001
- Category: Gender studies, gender groups
- ISBN: 9780335206230