The Crowded Street Paperback / softback
Part of the Virago Modern Classics series
This is the story of Muriel Hammond, at twenty living within the suffocating confines of Edwardian middle-class society in Marshington, a Yorkshire village.
A career is forbidden to her. Pretty, but not pretty enough, she fails to achieve the one thing required of her - to find a suitable husband.
Then comes the First World War, a watershed which tragically revolutionises the lives of her generation.
But for Muriel it offers work, friendship, freedom, and one last chance to find a special kind of happiness...
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 288 pages
- Publisher: Little, Brown Book Group
- Publication Date: 19/11/1981
- Category: Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
- ISBN: 9780860682080
- Paperback / softback from £13.55
- EPUB from £3.99
- eAudiobook MP3 from £6.89