Their Eyes Were Watching God Paperback / softback
Part of the Virago Modern Classics series
When Janie, at sixteen, is caught kissing shiftless Johnny Taylor, her grandmother swiftly marries her off to an old man with sixty acres.
Janie endures two stifling marriages before meeting the man of her dreams, who offers not diamonds, but a packet of flowering seeds ...'For me, THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD is one of the very greatest American novels of the 20th century.
It is so lyrical it should be sentimental; it is so passionate it should be overwrought, but it is instead a rigorous, convincing and dazzling piece of prose, as emotionally satisfying as it is impressive.
There is no novel I love more' Zadie Smith
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 256 pages
- Publisher: Little, Brown Book Group
- Publication Date: 23/01/1986
- Category: Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
- ISBN: 9780860685241
- Paperback / softback from £4.99
- EPUB from £5.49
- Hardback from £10.69
- eAudiobook MP3 from £15.74