Cracking the Egyptian Code : The Revolutionary Life of Jean-Francois Champollion Paperback / softback
Cracking the Egyptian Code is the first biography in English of Jean-Francois Champollion, the impoverished, arrogant and brilliant child of the French Revolution who made the vital breakthrough in deciphering the Egyptian hieroglyphs.
This finely illustrated account charts Champollion's dramatic life and achievements: by turns a teenage professor, a supporter of Napoleon, an exile, a fanatical decipherer and a curator at the Louvre, he lived life to the full but drove himself into an early grave. Andrew Robinson's full-blooded account brings the man, his setbacks and his ultimate triumphs vividly to life.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 304 pages, with 66 illustrations, 16 in colour; 16 Illustrations, color
- Publisher: Thames & Hudson Ltd
- Publication Date: 01/01/2018
- Category: Egyptian archaeology / Egyptology
- ISBN: 9780500294178