The Story of Writing : Alphabets, Hieroglyphs and Pictograms Paperback / softback
Writing is one of humanity's greatest inventions.Without it there would be no history and no civilization as we know it.
But how, when and where did writing evolve? In a succinct, absorbing and well-illustrated text, Andrew Robinson discusses the history of decipherment and then each of the major writing systems in turn, from cuneiform and Egyptian and Mayan hieroglyphs to alphabets and the scripts of China and Japan.
An invaluable guide to the world's major writing systems, The Story of Writing is a book to read for both pleasure and enlightenment.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 232 pages, With over 355 illustrations, 50 in colour
- Publisher: Thames & Hudson Ltd
- Publication Date: 16/04/2007
- Category: Palaeography (history of writing)
- ISBN: 9780500286609