Milton : Poet, Pamphleteer and Patriot Paperback / softback
by Anna Beer
For centuries John Milton, author of "Paradise Lost" and many other poetic works, and of radical pamphlets on free speech, divorce and political rights, has emerged from biographies as a woman-hating domestic tyrant or a saintly blind man.
But, as Anna Beer shows, his personal life was just as rich and complex as his professional one.
By close and groundbreaking analysis of Milton's careful editing of his own life, his wider family's affairs, the records of his government work, and the history of England during one of its most tumultuous periods of social and cultural life, Beer brings both the poet and his period to vivid life.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 480 pages, Illustrations (some col.), map, ports. (chiefly col.)
- Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Publication Date: 17/11/2008
- Category: Biography: literary
- ISBN: 9780747596288
- Hardback from £15.79