The Musical Idea and the Logic, Technique, and Art of Its Presentation, New Paperback English Edition Paperback / softback
Edited by Severine Neff
The Gedanke manuscripts, from which The Musical Idea is compiled, are legendary writings of Arnold Schoenberg.
Central to his concern was his concept of the "musical idea," which represents the wholeness of the musical work and embraces Schoenberg's notions of motive, gestalt, phrase, theme, rhythm, harmony, and form.
Ultimately, the musical idea is the vision of the composer by which a musical work achieves unity in relation to the means by which the work is comprehended in its unity by the listener.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 376 pages, 1, black & white illustrations
- Publisher: Indiana University Press
- Publication Date: 25/06/2006
- Category: Theory of music & musicology
- ISBN: 9780253218353