Rails Around the World : Two Centuries of Trains and Locomotives EPUB
Two centuries after iron behemoths first began appearing in Europe and North America, locomotives and trains continue to fascinate folks of all ages. From North American steam and electric-diesel machines designed and built by the likes of Baldwin and General Electric to state-of-the-art electric freight and commuter trains in Europe and Asia, Solomon provides a thorough look at the development of the most famous, most influential, and most technologically advanced trendsetters across more than two centuries, with photography depicting heavy hardware at work in North America, Europe, and Asia. Topics covered include:
- The Consolidation Type The most prolific steam locomotive design in America and one of the most common types around the world.
- Electric pioneers The earliest commercial applications for Edison, Tesla, and Siemens. Featuring hardware from Germany and Scandinavia.
- Gas-Electrics and Wind-splitters Pioneering aerodynamic trains that looked like machines dreamed up by Rube Goldberg.
- Budd stainless-steel streamliners Burlington's famous Zephyr and the trains it inspired swept public imagination.
- Britain's Sir Nigel Gresley and his remarkable locomotives Includes World FamousFlying Scotsmanand steam speed record holderMallard.
- Electro-Motive's F-unit The iconic American diesel that killed steam.
- Germany'sFlying Hamburger The pioneer high-speed diesel streamliners from 1932.
- Stanier's Black Five and 8F 2-8-0 Trendsetting British designs that found widespread applicationas far afield as Turkey and Egypt.
- Spanish TALGO trains Innovative lightweight passenger trains sold around the world.
- Japanese Shinkansen trains These record-breakingelectric trains are the epitome of high-speed rail.
- French TGVs Some of the world's fastest services with trains operating in more than a dozen nations.
- Soviet M62 diesel Soviet-era relics continue to work in the former Eastern Bloc.
- Swedish Rc Electrics Over the last 50 years, these icons have worked in countries across Europe, as well as Iran.
- Siemens Vectron During the last decade this versatile electric design has rapidly displaced older electric locomotives across Europe.
- Hardback from £19.35