In this new translation of the Homeric Hymns , Sarah Ruden employs a melodious and flexible non-rhyming line of eleven syllables, offering a close approximation of Greek hexameter verse in natural English rhythms.
The result is a Homeric Hymns marked by its accuracy, simplicity, and economy of movement.
Sheila Murnaghan's Introduction situates the Hymns within the mythological and performative traditions that gave rise to them.
Focusing on the longer Hymns , she perceptively illuminates these oddly charming and sometimes grave accounts of defining episodes in the evolution of the cosmos.
Notes and a Glossary of Names are included.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 128 pages
- Publisher: Hackett Publishing Co, Inc
- Publication Date: 13/09/2005
- Category: Literary studies: classical, early & medieval
- ISBN: 9780872207257
- EPUB from £2.99
- Hardback from £19.25
- Paperback / softback from £16.29