In Greenmantle (1916) Richard Hannay, hero of The Thirty-Nine Steps, travels across war-torn Europe in search of a German plot and an Islamic Messiah.
He is joined by three more of Buchan's heroes: Peter Pienaar, the old Boer Scout; John S.
Blenkiron, the American determined to fight the Kaiser; and Sandy Arbuthnot, Greenmantle himself, modelled on Lawrence of Arabia.
The intrepid four move in disguise through Germany to Constantinople and the Russian border toface their enemies: the grotesque Stumm and the evil beauty of Hilda von Einem.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 352 pages
- Publisher: Penguin Books Ltd
- Publication Date: 29/05/2008
- Category: First World War fiction
- ISBN: 9780141035840
- Paperback / softback from £5.99
- EPUB from £1.94
- Hardback from £17.99
- PDF from £4.87
- eAudiobook MP3 from £16.76