Of all the great civilizations of the ancient world, that of Persia is one of the most remarkable but least understood.
This is a study of the country's origins and why it collapsed so dramatically with the Arab invasions of the seventh century.
Josef Wiesehofer, provides a comprehensive survey of the Persian Empire under the Achaeminids, the Parthians and the Sassanians.
By focusing on the primary Persian sources - written, archaeological and numismatic evidence from Persia - he avoids the traditional Western approach which has tended to rely so heavily on inaccurate, and sometimes prejudiced, Greek and Roman sources.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 344 pages, illustrations, maps, index
- Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Publication Date: 25/05/2001
- Category: Middle Eastern history
- ISBN: 9781860646751