Gender and Class in English Asylums, 1890-1914 Hardback
by L. Hide
An unprecedented number of people were sent to 'lunatic asylums' in the nineteenth century.
But what was life like inside? How was order maintained? And why were so many doctors on the verge of a breakdown themselves?
This book provides a glimpse into the lives of patients and staff inside two London asylums at the turn of the twentieth century.
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 240 pages, XII, 240 p.
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
- Publication Date: 01/09/2014
- Category: British & Irish history
- ISBN: 9781137321428
- Paperback / softback from £20.35