The Experience of Beauty in the Middle Ages Paperback / softback
Part of the Oxford-Warburg Studies series
This book articulates a new approach to medieval aesthetic values, emphasizing the sensory and emotional basis of all medieval arts, their love of play and fine craftsmanship, of puzzles, and of strong contrasts.
Written for a general educated audience as well as students and scholars in the field, it offers an understanding of medieval literature and art that is rooted in the perceptions and feelings of ordinary life, made up of play and laughter as well as seriouswork.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 246 pages, 11 colour and black and white plates
- Publisher: Oxford University Press
- Publication Date: 25/09/2014
- Category: Byzantine & Medieval art c 500 CE to c 1400
- ISBN: 9780198723257