A Closer Look: Frames Paperback / softback
Part of the A Closer Look series
Frames often catch the eye and arouse the curiosity of visitors to galleries and museums, yet labels and catalogues rarely comment on them.
Nicholas Penny conveys his interest in the history of frames, the design and techniques of frame-making, what frames do for paintings, and the part they play in the decoration and often the architecture of an interior.
The emphasis is on the changing function and varied purpose of frames as well as the different styles of ornament, materials, finishes, and techniques used.
This Closer Look guide is illustrated by frames from the National Gallery's magnificent collection.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 96 pages, 90 color illus.
- Publisher: National Gallery Company Ltd
- Publication Date: 12/11/2010
- Category: History of art / art & design styles
- ISBN: 9781857094404