Fatal Avenue : A Traveller's History of the Battlefields of Northern France and Flanders 1346-1945 Paperback / softback
De Gaulle called it a 'fatal avenue' - that broad sweep of low-lying country stretching north-east of Paris.
Over the centuries, invading armies have swept back and forth over this bloody terrain, and the names of battles fought here read like a dictionary of military history - from Agincourt, Calais and Crecy to Verdun, Vimy and Ypres.
Fatal Avenue is both a history and a guide - a unique study of a region that has witnessed more bitter military conflict than any other area of its size on earth.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 608 pages, 8 pp b/w plates; 9 intergrated maps
- Publisher: Vintage Publishing
- Publication Date: 20/06/2008
- Category: European history
- ISBN: 9781844139385