The 4-Percent Universe : Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality, Paperback Book

The 4-Percent Universe : Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality Paperback

5 out of 5 (1 rating)


Only 4% of the universe consists of the matter that makes up you, me, every star, every and planet.

Over the past few decades, a handful of scientists have been battling to understand the rest: the strange "dark matter" and even stranger "dark energy".

In exhilarating detail, Panek takes us on an intimate tour of the epic rivalries, the eureka moments, the blind alleys, and the great mysteries that are redefining science and reinventing the universe.


  • Format: Paperback
  • Pages: 288 pages
  • Publisher: Oneworld Publications
  • Publication Date:
  • Category: Popular science
  • ISBN: 9781851688968

Other Formats



Free Home Delivery

on all orders

Pick up orders

from local bookshops


Showing 1 - 1 of 1 reviews.

Review by

[My Amazon Review]Ultimately readable history of the "new" science of cosmology that has led us to know the ultimate fate of our universe. Are there any questions left for cosmologists to answer? Oh yes! The very big one: Why is our universe expanding at an accelerating rate? If it's dark energy, we really know very little about its nature. Why is there so much dark "stuff" as opposed to visible ditto, and why are the proportions of dark matter, dark energy, and baryonic matter what they are?Cosmology is the branch of modern physics that will ultimately tell us who we are in relation to all reality. This historical narrative lets us know that the people who are finding out why things are just like us even when we lesser beings believe otherwise. Strong personalities, quirky characters, passionate emotions, baser and common natures (jealous, self-aggrandizing, competitive) abound as Panek deploys these actors on the cutting edges of inner and outer space for the reader to get to know.We're only 4% of all that is. It's a good thing to know there are minds among us devoting there lives to understanding the other 96%.It's a good read Panek's created that lets one feel a passing acquaintance with the men and women who are acolytes of the "dark side" and a passing familiarity with the invisible bulk of the universe.