Getting the Message Across : Using Slideware Effectively in Technical Presentations PDF
Create memorable presentations on technical and complex topics in slideware such as Microsoft PowerPoint and Apple's Keynote for Mac. Learn good pacing and rhythm as well as judicious use of special effects.
Whether the goal is to help a sale or to educate, and whether the final delivery is a live presentation, a webinar, or a short video presentation, this book focuses on the particular difficulties linked to technical presentations. You will learn to create a story when there is none, gain the interest of an audience who may not feel as strongly for the topic as the speaker does, turn abstract concepts into visual models, overcome the limitations of the medium (limited space, two dimensions), maintain interest through rhythm, and use effects, not to look cool or get that "WOW" moment, but to serve the message.
Getting The Message Across presents a number of field-tested ideas for raising interest. The use of various techniques and careful scripting will help you, even if you aren't a natural-born show-person, to communicate effectively, and to make your audience remember your message, and not necessarily your slides. This book will teach you:
- Rhythm and animations, and the use of transitions
- To hold audience interest even with "dry" topics
- To create memorable presentations
- Techniques useful for PowerPoint, Keynote for Mac, and any similar presentation medium or environment
- Turn austere topics into interesting stories.
- Give rhythm and pacing to your presentations.
- Build a narrative during transitions and animations.
- Hold audience interest and make listeners feel clever.
- Make people remember your presentation rather than your cool use of slideware.
- Paperback / softback from £21.75