The Portland Vase Paperback / softback
by Susan Walker
Part of the Objects in Focus series
The Portland Vase was probably made during the reign of the Roman emperor Augustus (27 BC-AD 14).
A work of outstanding technical skill, it is apparently decorated with scenes of love and marriage, the precise meaning of which has been the cause of much debate and interpretation.
This book offers an exciting new reading of the vase, setting it in the context of the dramatic relationships between Octavian, Antony and Cleopatra.
It also explores the lively history of the vase, from the earliest records in Italy to its purchase by Sir William Hamilton and the dukes of Portland, and its abiding influence on British craftsmen such as Wedgwood.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 64 pages, 6 Illustrations, black and white; 25 Illustrations, color
- Publisher: British Museum Press
- Publication Date: 22/11/2004
- Category: Carving & modelling, moulding & casting
- ISBN: 9780714150222