Victorian Occultism and the Making of Modern Magic : Invoking Tradition Hardback
by A. Butler
Part of the Palgrave Historical Studies in Witchcraft and Magic series
The late Victorian period witnessed the remarkable revival of magical practice and belief.
Butler examines the individuals, institutions and literature associated with this revival and demonstrates how Victorian occultism provided an alternative to the tightening camps of science and religion in a social environment that nurtured magical beliefs.
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 225 pages, XIII, 225 p.
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
- Publication Date: 05/01/2011
- Category: Magic, alchemy & hermetic thought
- ISBN: 9780230223394
- PDF from £64.60
- Paperback / softback from £59.35