The Lure of Antiquity and the Cult of the Machine : The Kunstkammer and the Evolution of Nature, Art and Technology Paperback / softback
The Kunstkammer was a programmatic display of art and oddities amassed by wealthy Europeans during the sixteenth to the eighteenth centuries.
These nascent museums reflected the ambitions of such thinkers as Descartes, Locke, and Kepler to unite the forces of nature with art and technology.
Bredekamp advances a radical view that the baroque Kunstkammer is also the nucleus of modern cyberspace.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 168 pages, illustrations
- Publisher: Markus Wiener Publishing Inc
- Publication Date: 31/12/1995
- Category: History of art & design styles: c 1400 to c 1600
- ISBN: 9781558760943