Breaking Down the Wall : Essential Shifts for English Learners' Success PDF
It was a dark and stormy night in Santa Barbara. January 19, 2017. The next day's inauguration drumroll played on the evening news. Huddled around a table were nine Corwin authors and their publisher, who together have devoted their careers to equity in education. They couldn't change the weather, they couldn't heal a fractured country, but they did have the power to put their collective wisdom about EL education upon the page to ensure our multilingual learners reach their highest potential.
Proudly, we introduce you now to the fruit of that effort: Breaking Down the Wall: Essential Shifts for English Learners' Success.
In this first-of-a-kind collaboration, teachers and leaders, whether in small towns or large urban centers, finally have both the research and the practical strategies to take those first steps toward excellence in educating our culturally and linguistically diverse children. It's a book to be celebrated because it means we can throw away the dark glasses of deficit-based approaches and see children who come to school speaking a different home language for what they really are: learners with tremendous assets.
The authors' contributions are arranged in nine chapters that become nine tenets for teachers and administrators to use as calls to actions in their own efforts to realize our English learners' potential:
1. From Deficit-Based to Asset-Based
2. From Compliance to Excellence
3. From Watering Down to Challenging
4. From Isolation to Collaboration
5. From Silence to Conversation
6. From Language to Language, Literacy, and Content
7. From Assessment of Learning to Assessment for and as Learning
8. From Monolingualism to Multilingualism
9. From Nobody Cares to Everyone/Every Community Cares
- Format: PDF
- Pages: 240 pages
- Publisher: SAGE Publications
- Publication Date: 11/09/2019
- Category: Sociology: family & relationships
- ISBN: 9781544342641
- Paperback / softback from £22.85
- EPUB from £27.53