These hundred poems and fragments constitute virtually all of "Sappho" that survives and effectively bring to life the woman whom the Greeks consider to be their greatest lyric poet.
Mary Barnard's translations are lean, incisive, direct - the best ever published.
She has rendered the beloved poet's verses, long the bane of translators, more authentically than anyone else in English.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 132 pages, 1 line drawing
- Publisher: University of California Press
- Publication Date: 15/06/2012
- Category: Literary studies: classical, early & medieval
- ISBN: 9780520272934
- Paperback / softback from £2.99
- Hardback from £18.95
- PDF from £38.68
- Paperback from £6.45
- EPUB from £1.07